Theatre II Alternative Assignment
Section 1: Online Article Review
Download the instructions here.
This section of the assignment is due Tuesday night, Dec 1 (by midnight). Since this one won't be shared through Google Classroom, you can still do the assignment on Google Drive, and just share it with Mr. Faw when you are finished firstname.lastname@example.org .
Section 2: Script Read Through
Due Thursday night, Dec 3 (by midnight). Again, shared through Google Drive
Choose a script from those provided in class. Read through it, and think through it as a director. Type up a couple of paragraphs on ideas you have in the first read through...who could play certain parts? What do you like about the play...what don't you like about it? What would costumes or scenery look like? Where would you want to direct this if you could (at a theatre here in NC, in New York City, in London...etc)?
Section 3: Publicity Design
All 3 areas of publicity design due Friday evening, Dec 11 by midnight.
Publicity Design: Cast/Crew List and Bio
- Biography Research: Choose one famous actor you plan to include in your cast, and one famous designer who will be on your crew list, to research and type up a short biography on each of them. No minimum length for the biography, but it should cover the important highlights of their career.
- Cast List: Type your your ideal cast list for your play (this can include actors you currently work with, Hollywood Stars, or famous Broadway Actors. You must, however, include at least one famous professional in the field (dead or alive is acceptable). Money is no object, assume an unlimited budget. Include ALL actors you need for your play.
- Crew List: Similar to your cast list, type a production crew list for your play. You must include at least the following positions (certainly include more if you would like):
Like before, you may cast this from people you know, but you must include at least one famous designer or technician to include.
Publicity Design: Press Release Article
First, look around online for articles that other people have written about their own performances...Look for articles that really want to make you want to come and see that show! (You do not need to include these articles in the assignment, you're just using them as inspiration).
Type an article release to newspapers and magazines. In this article, you are trying to hype your show, to get people to want to come and see it. Put on your salesman (or saleswoman) hat, and sell this show! There is no minimum length for your article, but it should be long enough to cover all of the needed information, inspire audience members to come and see it, and inspire your investors to want to give money!
Publicity Design: Poster and Program Design
Poster Design: Digitally create a poster for your production, including:
- Name of the company producing the show (name your own theatre company)
- Play title and playwright
- Production dates, times, and venue
- Ticket prices, and how can tickets be purchased?
- Cover page with cover art
- Show Dates/Times
- Play title, playwright name, rights/royalties information
- Cast list
- Production crew and designer list
- At least a paragraph as a 'producer's note' (this note is to the audience, why did you choose to produce/direct this show, why is it important to you, what do you want the audience to take away from it?)
- Special Thanks (people who helped you pull together show, anyone who donated money, etc)
- Include anything else you think necessary for the program